Saturday, December 6, 2014

3-(1) Jonggak - 'Gyerim' popular restaurant HIDDEN from tourists

This post is based on the itinerary I wrote here : 
http://wishbeen.com/travelplans#!/plans/72edc6982f78d8d5
(in case you want to see places with a map)

I was volunteering at an event near City Hall, and after finishing it, we(volunteers) were so hungry. We decided to go to restaurant together and we had no idea where to go. After some time, someone just recommended to go to a restaurant called "Gyerim"(계림). We hadn't been there, but we were hungry, so we just followed her, as she seemed to know a lot of good restaurants. And it turned out it was true! :D
Actually we didn't care much, as we were too hungry though....but it was a really good idea to follow her!! :-) Hooray!! :)

Haha....I didn't forget to take pictures of course! As usual :)
Well...my french professor used to say "comme d'habitude" (meaning 'as usual') when we didn't try to speak french and kept silence as we were shy to speak french(okay madame, Asian students are shy... ) :P

Anyways! Let me show you some pictures!

So...as you can notice, the area around this restaurant seems quite old...
You can say it seems typical Korean street, but well... you can't be too sure.
Yes, it truly doesn't seem like streets in Europe/ Northern America/ Latin America/Africa,
and as there are Korean signs, I see this seems like Korean street.
However, most of the places I go to are quite different. Sorry to say, they seem cleaner and more vibrant. Did I tell you? I'm a university student, so those places' atmosphere/ ambiance must be different. There must be more young people, and around this restaurant I guess there are many old people. Therefore, it was interesting to visit the area like this. It reminded me of my childhood, when I used to go to areas like this! ;-) At that time, I wasn't that interested in exploring my city...so it makes sense? :)
Anyways, as you can see, it's not that crowded, and it's not that well known to tourists.
It's kinda hidden! Even not so many people who live in Seoul know about this area.
HOWEVER! the restaurant is really popular in spite of its location, which means the restaurant's food is guaranteed!
There are a lot of people who've never heard of this restaurant, BUT! Nobody has been there once(with a little bit of an exaggeration). It means people who have been there do not stop going there! You never go there once!
Okay! enough enough! Let's move on to the inside and food!
Yeah, the description above was quite long, I agree, and the more important thing is of course the food here! (I didn't forget to write about it of course :p maybe? :P)

So! Their recommended menu is Chicken Stew.
Basically they offer two kinds of Chicken Stew: 
1) Samgyetang 삼계탕
-Chicken stew with ginseng, jujubes, chestnuts and rice    
-It's white, yummy and it's not spicy! I really love it!
2) Dak-bokkeum-tang 닭볶음탕
-Braised spicy chicken stew    
-It could be a little bit spicy, depending on how much chili powder you put,
anyways! it's yummy!
If you hate spicy food, I'm sorry but we ordered braised spicy chicken.
Awww it makes my mouth water!
As most of Koreans, I love chicken no matter what! Fried chicken, spicy fried chicken, braised chicken or chicken stew! We just love chicken so much.
I'm Korean so I definitely have eaten braised spicy chicken stew...but the menu is quite interesting here. What makes this restaurant special is that they put a lot of crunched garlic into chicken stew!
Okay okay,,, I'm Korean and I like spicy food, but isn't it too much?
I don't eat garlic that much! However it wasn't necessary to worry about it!
To my surprise, unexpectedly, it was soooO good!
Yummy!!!
I haven't tried garlic that much like that day :)
It was too cold that day so we wanted something warm and healthy, and it was a perfect idea to order this, as garlic has health benefits and it was so delicious!
 Whoop! Whoop! 
Right now at 3 a.m., I'm writing on my blog, but while looking at this picture,
it makes me hungry!!!
I put it on my plate. 
It's sweet and tasty!
Hmm I don't know how to fully explain it, but it was really delicious!
If you don't hate spicy food, come and enjoy it!!!

There are also private rooms for people who prefer it.
Below I added some pictures of the area around here!
Oh I love dumplings! :)
See? Around here there are interesting stores which you wouldn't go frequently.
 My favorite season is autumn! Blue sky with red leaves and yellow leaves!
 harmony of green and red!
I simply took this picture, cuz I like the sky view.

Have a good weekend!
Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment